- 2 lb. cube steak (about 4 pieces)
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 c. all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. vegetable oil
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced into 1/2″ rings
- 3 tbsp. butter
- 1 (1-oz.) packet onion soup mix
- 1 1/2 c. water
- Season steaks with salt and pepper. Mix flour and garlic powder in a large shallow plate and dredge steaks. Reserve remaining dredge mixture.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil. Fry steaks in batches until deeply golden, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer steaks to a plate.
- Reduce heat to medium and add onion to pan. Cook, scraping down the bottom of pan, until onions are softened and turn golden, about 10 minutes.
- Melt butter into onions, then sprinkle in onion soup mix and 1 tablespoon of reserved dredge mixture. Cook, stirring constantly until bubbling and beginning to turn a golden color, another 10 minutes.
- Gradually add water, a 1/4 cup at a time. Let simmer lightly until gravy is thickened. Transfer steaks to pan with gravy and turn to coat.
- Serve steaks smothered with gravy.