Recipe From: Food & Wine 2015
Prep time:40 minutes Cook time:3 hours 30 minutes
- One 12-14 lb Turkey, Rinsed and Patted Dry
- Kosher Salt and Black Pepper
- 2 Sticks Unsalted Butter
- 1/2 Cup Distilled White Vinegar
- 1/3 Cup Minced Chipotle Chiles in Adobo
- 2 Tbsp Minced Garlic
- 1 Tbsp Dried Oregano
- 1 Tbsp Chopped Thyme
- 4 Sprigs Thyme
- 1 Head of Garlic, Halved Crosswise
- 1 Lime, Quartered
- 3 Oregano Sprigs
- 3 Cups Chicken Stock or Low-Sodium Broth
- Season the turkey inside and out with salt and pepper. Transfer to a rack set in a roasting pan and let come to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 400ºF. In a medium saucepan, melt the butter. Whisk in the vinegar, chipotles, minced garlic, dried oregano and chopped thyme; let cool slightly. Transfer half of the chipotle butter to a small bowl and refrigerate until spreadable, about 20 minutes.
- Run your fingers under the breast and thigh skin to loosen it, then spread the chilled butter under the skin and over the breast and thighs. Stuff the turkey cavity with the head of garlic, the lime wedges, and the thyme and oregano sprigs. Dampen an 18-by-18-inch double-layer piece of cheesecloth with water and squeeze dry. Soak the cheesecloth in the remaining chipotle butter and drape it over the breast and legs; pour any remaining butter on top.
- Roast the turkey for about 30 minutes. Add the stock to the roasting pan and continue to roast for about 1 hour and 45 minutes longer, rotating the pan a few times, until an instant-read termometer inserted in the inner thigh registers 165ºF.
- Carefully peel the cheesecloth off the turkey. Transfer the turkey to a board and let rest for 30 minutes. Skim the fat off the pan juices and transfer to a gravy bowl. Carve the turkey and serve with the pan juices.